Here is a great Dairy and Soy Free pie crust recipe! It does use Crisco that has Hydrogenated soybean oil in it but, It is said that Hydrogenated soybean oil doesn’t affect those with a soy allergy. Therefore I like to use it in some of my cooking and it doesn’t seem to bother my son.
This Pie crust is flaky and so so good! It is great for making 2 pies or 1 pie with a top layer of crust.
I love taking pictures of pie crusts. I just think they are so pretty in the morning light. I also love to get my kids involved when I am cooking. Pictured here is my son helping roll out crust. I gave him a little piece to play with while I rolled out a bigger one. But, then when it came time to poke the holes in the crust before baking it, he helped me with that. He loved it!
If you have kids try to get them involved with cooking. By giving them a little piece to play with lets them feel like they are really helping out. For me I want to make sure my kids can cook when they are grown up and don’t have to rely on someone else to cook for them! Do you know someone who can’t cook? Were they taught by their parents or family or friends? I know of a few people who were taught by their parents how to cook but they were still not very good, haha!
Here is a great dairy and soy free you can use with this pie crust recipe. Memaw’s Delicious Southern Pie.
- 2 C flour
- 1 C Crisco
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 T of ice cold water
- In a cup add in water and ice and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl add in flour, Crisco, and salt. Using either a fork or pastry cutter mix together until dough resembles course crumbs. Add in 4 T water and use a fork to mix together. Now, in the dry parts add in the last 2 T of water and continue to mix with fork. It'll be ready if you can get a handful and it holds together. (add more water if needed)
- Create dough into a ball and put in either a large zip lock bag or a plastic wrap and place in fridge for 5-10 minutes.
- Take out and roll out onto a floured surface and get the right shape for your pie pan.
- **If needing it to be baked before filling goes in pie crust then poke fork holes on bottom of crust and the sides and cook in 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.