One of my favorite things to do is bake pies. I find it so relaxing and enjoyable to make a homemade; from scratch, pie. For some reason it’s always at night when I find myself wanting to bake. My husband says I’m crazy but for me it’s kind of how I wind down from my day. And Memaw’s Chocolate Pie is the perfect pie to help with that.
When making Memaw’s pie it takes me back to the older days when things were more simple. You’d see many families sitting out on their porches rocking in their rocking chairs and sipping on their sweet tea. Everything was homemade and less ingredients were used. Also, in the south after dinner it was very common to serve up a piece of pie. Nowadays it’s like a bad thing to eat desserts after dinner. But to me pie…pie is a must after a good homemade meal.
Chocolate pie is one of those pies where you just can’t help but be happy when eating it. I love sitting down with my family after a good dinner enjoying a delicious chocolate pie together. While doing so the kids are smiling because they are enjoying their pie and my husband and I are smiling because we see how happy our kids are. I enjoy those moments when everyone is happy and content. Having a house full of busy kids and a busy husband makes it hard to find those moments.
So next time you make a homemade meal make Memaw’s delicious southern chocolate pie. Make it the night before or the morning of so that it will be ready to eat right after dinner is over. Enjoy the moments you’ll have with your family or friends while eating it and don’t worry or stress about the fact that you are eating a dessert.
This is a dairy and soy free pie. I replaced regular milk with almond milk and butter with earth balance soy and dairy free butter. So if you do not have a soy and dairy allergy you can just replace it with regular milk and butter. 🙂
Click here for the Pie Crust Recipe!
- 1 C sugar
- 3 T cocoa powder
- 3 T flour
- 2 C almond milk(or regular milk)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 T earth balance soy and dairy free butter (or regular butter)
- splash of vanilla extract
- 1 pie crust
- In a small bowl add in the egg yolks and whisk gently. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan add in sugar, cocoa powder, flour, and almond milk and stir constantly at medium heat until all is dissolved and it has thickened.
- Once it has thickened up and has started to boil, pour a tiny bit into the egg yolk bowl while stirring constantly. You don't want to scramble your eggs!
- Pour a little more in and keep stirring. When about a coup of chocolate mixture has been added, a the return the chocolate egg mixture to the sauce pan and stir to combine the two.
- Keep stirring until chocolate filling is even thicker. (about 2-3 minutes)
- Add in 1 Tb butter and vanilla extract and stir. Once combined remove it from heat and pour into a cooked and cooled pie crust. Refrigerate all day or over night. Enjoy!
- Get Flaky Dairy and Soy Free Pie Crust here.